I have to say, these are pretty amazing. Plus I think with the protein, dates, coconut oil, they make for some great training bars to take on rides for fuel. I certainly want to take these out for a spin instead of my cliff bars I typically use. The dates should provide plenty of carbs. The fine cashew powder should also be easier to digest. Plus I know how it was made and sourced my own ingredients.
- 1 cup roasted & unsalted cashews
- 16 dates
- 1 tablespoon melted, warm coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, or more to taste (optional)
- 1/16 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Up to 1/2 cup dairy-free dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (minis if you’ve got them), cacao nibs, or a combination of the two (for a triple chocolate effect)
Put the cashews in a food processor until they are as fine as a flour. It’s ok if a few little chunks remain. Transfer to a bowl. Place the dates in the food processor with the oil and vanilla and mix with the food processor. Add the ground cashews, cocoa powder, and salt, and blend until everything is well-combined. Transfer to a bowl. Fold in chips. Transfer to some parchment paper and press out into a flat shape. Then cut into bars with a sharp knife. They should keep for 1 week in the frig.
It is best to use dates that are fairly fresh. We have also done the recipe with and without the coco powder so that is totally optional. Without, they look more like a granola bar.