I have always looked for ways to add black beans in our diet but man, this one surprised me. Sherry found the recipe and made it last night. The entire family just crushed them. Blair had his with some mint chocolate chip ice cream a la mode and I have to admit, just amazing. They did not last long enough to get a picture.
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder- dutch or regular (10g) (add a little extra if desired)
- 1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (See nutrition facts link below for all substitution notes.)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (Honey will work, but not for strict vegans.) (75g)
- 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g) (See “nutrition facts” link for all substitution notes.)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
- Optional: more chips, for presentation
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. Makes 9-12 brownies.