A new found tradition in our house is Friday pizza and movie night. Trying to find some whole food goodness on this typically junk food dish, here is our attempt to make for some good eats. You should be able to find all these ingredients organic.
Whole Wheat Dough w/Flax:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil (EVOO)
1/4 cup of flax seeds (then milled in coffee grinder)
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour (If you don’t want whole wheat dough, just do 3 cups for bread flour).
1 1/2 cups of bread flour
OPTIONAL: 1 l/2 teaspoons dried basil, oregano. thyme or Italian seasoning with the flour. (I tend to do garlic and/or oregano)
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 l/2 teaspoons regular active dry yeast OR 2 l/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or quick-acting active dry yeast
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1. Place all ingredients in bread pan in the order listed. Select WHITE DOUGH cycle. (The order varies with each bread machine but should be very close). This can be done ahead and dough frozen. I cut the dough in 1/2 before throwing it in the freezer. It just needs to be thawed prior to spreading out. Cycle takes about 2 hours on my machine.
2. Move oven rack to lowest position and put pizza stone on rack. Heat oven to 400. If you have time, letting the stone get hot for 1 hour gives the best results but not necessary.
3. Divide dough in half (if not done so already). Pat each half into 12-inch circle with floured fingers.
4. Take fork and poke holes in dough, wash with some EVOO and transfer to stone.
5. Cook dough for 5 minutes (without toppings) and pull from oven.
6. Spread with favorite toppings.
7. Cook pizza for another 15 minutes or until done.